I have been encouraged to post holiday fitness and health tips. But I have never been one to believe there is a silver bullet or a list of 10 things to do to keep fit over the holidays. Everyone is different. Everyone has different needs. Everyone responds to holiday stress in different ways.
The best advice I have is –
“Identify one habit you can practice during the holidays that will sustain your fitness and health and then practice it every day!”
“What is one fit and healthy habit that I can reasonably do each day that will have the biggest return on my fitness and health during the holidays?”
Then fully focus on your one fit and healthy habit. Practice it each day. Don’t sweat it if you mess up one day. Wipe the slate clean and start again the next minute. If you feel like quitting, commit to quit tomorrow. Practice your habit today. Consistency and persistency are your friends in the midst of the holidays.
The habit can be anything that will be meaningful and helpful to you. But it has to be something that will have a BIG payoff. Think about what usually knocks you off track.
- Is it the holiday party circuit and all of those delicious (and, unfortunately, unhealthy) holiday cookies and desserts? Then maybe focusing on a portion control habit will be most rewarding.
- Do you run yourself ragged during the holidays? How about practicing a daily “time out?” Ten minutes of quiet time, feet up, soft music….whatever will soothe your soul in a healthy and fit way and give you the resilience and fortitude to navigate the ups and downs of the holidays.
- Do you “burn the candle at both ends?” How about establishing a holiday sleep ritual that calms your mind before heading to bed at an hour that gives you at least 7.5 hours a sleep?
- Does mental stress trigger overeating and over indulging? Then pick a mental skill that you can practice. Here are three important ones for the holidays- full focus, positive imagery, and distraction control.
- Do you feel out of control and a victim to the demands of your holiday schedule? Then what is one habit you can practice that keeps you in control and feeling empowered?
- What happens to your daily fitness activities over the holidays? If they going into hiding, what is one daily habit you can fully focus on that keeps your body moving and your mind clear?
Get out a piece of paper and brainstorm a list of habits that can be helpful to you and your fitness & health. Then select one. And start practicing it right now. It may take a few days to get into your rhythm. Don’t let that discourage you. Believe you can do it. Commit to doing it. And practice getting a little bit better each and every day. You have 26 days until January 2nd. Visualize that morning, waking up an absolute master of your habit and waking up a fit and healthy you!
YOU CAN DO IT! I KNOW YOU CAN!!!
To your fitness & health,