Starting Off the Morning
Like many people, my first thought in the morning is, “I can’t wait to get to my cup of coffee.” But I do try to stop myself on most mornings and do a little stretching and breathing to wake up my mind, wake up my body and get myself focused for the day.
Get motivated to get moving! Call Pam (630-653-8152 or email firstname.lastname@example.org) to schedule your complimentary, no-obligation fitness consultation.
I like to time my breath with my stretching – that makes the movement more rhythmic for me and it makes my mind come alive.
Here’s what I do*:
- I stand and inhale while I reach my arms up to the ceiling. Then I exhale as I bring them back down to my sides. I repeat this 2 or 3 times.
- Then I start to add a side bend, still timing my breathing to my movements. I take a wider stance and then inhale as I reach my arms towards the ceiling and then exhale as I bend to the side. I repeat on the other side. I do this 2 or 3 times.
- Next I twist my body a little bit. I do this nice and gently – remembering that I just woke up and my body is not warmed up. I try to the twists to my breath. I inhale when I am standing looking forward. And then exhale as I twist
- I like to add some easy lateral lunges to this routine. From a wide, athletic stance I ever so gently bend into my hips and knees, alternating sides. This gets my heart rate up a little bit. It’s like a little warm up for the day.
- My final move is to step back with one leg and reach my arms back behind me, gently squeezing my shoulder blades together.
Then with a little rolling of the shoulders, making circles with my wrists and ankles, and wiggling my fingers and toes, I am off for my cup of java!
View my morning stretching and breathing routine in the video.
To your health and fitness!
*Check with your doctor before starting an exercise program. And only do the exercises in this video if it is safe for your body.
At Strand Fitness, we believe the fitness journey is about a strong, fit body and mind!
Call Pam (630-653-8152 or email email@example.com) to schedule your complimentary, no-obligation fitness consultation. Find out how we can make fitness work for you!
Strand Fitness is a personal training studio in Downtown Wheaton, serving Glen Ellyn, Carol Stream, Winfield, & Chicago Western Suburbs.
To learn more about how Strand Fitness can help you reach your fitness goals, contact Pam (630 653 8152) and schedule your free fitness consultation.
Learn more about our fitness solutions here!