Like many people my first thought in the morning is, “I can’t wait to get to my cup of coffee.” But I do try to stop myself on most mornings and do a little stretching and breathing to wake up my mind, wake up my body, and get myself focused for the day.
I like to time my breath with my stretching – that makes the movement more rhythmic for me and it makes my mind come alive.
Here’s what I do.
- I stand and inhale while I reach my arms up to the ceiling. Then I exhale as I bring them back down to my sides. I do this 2 or 3 times.
- Then I start to add a side bend. Still timing my breathing to my movements. I take a wider stance and then inhale as I reach my arms towards the ceiling and then exhale as I bend to the side. I repeat on the other side. I do this 2 or 3 times.
- Next I twist my body a little bit. I do this nice and gently – remembering that I just woke up and my body is not warmed up. I try to the twists to my breath. I inhale when I am standing looking forward. And then exhale as I twist
- I like to add some easy lateral lunges to this routine. From a wide, athletic stance I ever so gently bend into my hips and knees, alternating sides. This gets my heart rate up a little bit. It’s like a little warm up for the day.
- My final move is to step back with one leg and reach my arms back behind me, gently squeezing my shoulder blades together.
Then with a little rolling of the shoulders, making circles with my wrists and ankles, and wiggling my fingers and toes, I am off for my cup of java!
To your health and fitness!
P.S. Check with your doctor before starting an exercise program. And only do the exercises in this video if it is safe for your body to do so.
Strand Fitness is a personal training studio serving Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Winfield and the Western Suburbs of Chicago. Click here to learn more about our personal training solutions.